Tuesday, February 12, 2013

My first time sketching at the American Museum of Natural History

I very much prefer to stay on a schedule, planning each day's tasks in advance. But lately, I've been taking myself on impromptu little dates to the the city.

Today, I went to the American Museum of Natural History for the first time without my son. I took my sketchbook, a few pencils and two erasers. I have never understood the appeal of the North American Mammals wing, with all of its stiff taxidermy and fake backgrounds, but I finally kind of got it. I really looked at the animals today. I noticed their size and scars and hair length and the shape of their ears. It was all so beautiful.

I sat down in front of the grizzly bears and sketched for about 15 minutes. Then I walked through Central Park for a couple of miles and got on the train to pick up my son from school.

I felt wonderful.



No comments:

Post a Comment