Monday, June 10, 2013

It's critique night with Giuseppe Castellano!

Tonight is critique night!

In March, my wonderful and generous illustration teacher, Mark Mitchell, made arrangements for a critique session with award-winning illustrator and Art Director at Penguin US, Giuseppe Castellano.

Giuseppe created a mock assignment for our class, based on the very first Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books (Giuseppe also oversees the imprints of Grosset & Dunlap, the original publisher for both series). He gave us very specific guidelines to follow, and encouraged us to treat this as an actual submission. The class was excited and enthusiastic, and everyone worked diligently to get the assignment turned in on time.

After reading through The Tower Treasure, it was the road leading up to the tower and the yellow jalopy that stuck out for me. I used my Brooklyn photographs and a couple of watercolor paintings to digitally collage my cover. It's been a couple of months since I created this, and I can now see many things I'd do differently, but I really can't wait for this critique. I'll let you know how it goes!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kendra, It's Sylvia from the class. Congrats on your wonderful critique by Giuseppe - he really had nothing bad to say about it! Do you mind if I use your image in a blog post I plan to write about the critique? I'd run anything I write about your piece by you. This has always been one of my favorite pieces from the class. (You can reply to sylliu at yahoo dot com). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would absolutely love to be a part of your blog, Sylvia. It would be an honor. Thank you so much!

      Delete