Sunday, August 21, 2011

Printing my tees and onesies using oil stains and lithography

There are many cool things about my new special edition of Mountain tees and onesies (now available on my Etsy site).

The first is that I get to work in the printmaking studio of my longtime friend and mentor, Kathy Caraccio (http://kcaraccio.com). Together, we test my designs using a process called Paper Lithography (also referred to as Xerox Litho, Laser Litho, Gum Arabic printing and several others). 
Paper Litho is awesome because instead of lugging around a copper plate, a litho stone, using acids, a hot plate, etc, I walk in to the studio with merely a photocopy of my design. Then, using water, gum arabic (tree sap), safflower oil and oil-based ink, I end up with an inked up 'plate.' I place this design on a tee, run it through the press, and Voila! A printed tshirt for me!

Another super cool aspect of this print is the actual ink that I use: Bone Black. The pigment is bone. Charred and crushed up bones. Creepy, but kind of natural and cool and utilitarian and interesting. And it's all mixed up with linseed oil. Old school.
It's not water-based, but it's definitely natural. And when I print it on apparel, it creates a black oil stain that becomes one with the fabric. I think it's just beautiful.
I've added some pictures of the process to give you a clearer idea...
The beginning. Laying my designs out on onesies and tees
Laying out out my paper prints on each onesie and tee

 
The printing supplies: Graphic Chemical's bone black ink, gum arabic, safflower oil

The roll up process 
Rolling on the ink mixture, consisting of linseed oil and crushed, charred bone + a few drops of safflower oil for better consistency


Prepping a tee on the press



After placing the inked image on the tee and running through the press twice, I have a final product!




Check out my Etsy shop, http://etsy.com/shop/kendrasred, to see a variety of onesies and tshirts fresh off the press. I have really embraced this printing method, and I've been experimenting and creating more because of it.
To learn more about what you can do with paper lithography, contact Kathy Caraccio at 212.594.9662, or attend one of her weekend workshops listed here http://www.kcaraccio.com/workshops.

If you have further information about this process, I am all ears. So please comment and post. Questions always welcome!
xo,
Kendra


Note: An immense thank you to my high school friend, Kelly, for suggesting a mountain-themed design and giving me full access to her personal photo collection of her Colorado excursions.

No comments:

Post a Comment